Monday, May 14, 2012

Not a Day, a Discipline

Rev. James Moore of Strong Tower Fellowship brings a word of encouragement on prayer.
A little over a week ago, we participated in the National Day of Prayer observance here in Macon, GA. Truly a great time was had by all.

As a member of the committee that puts all of the day's events together, I can safely say that we are always relieved at the great turnout of people that show up for both the breakfast and the noon rally. We like to remind people that, regarding prayer, it is not about a day, it is about a discipline. How very true that is. But something else I noticed will take longer than a day, much prayer, and great discipline to accomplish.

As I looked around the room I saw something that, a few decades ago, was not commonplace (and in some circles banned). People with different shades of skin tone were eating, fellowshiping, and worshiping together. Probably much more so than they would be the following Sunday, or this coming Sunday. This bothers me. It disturbs my spirit and I think it pains the heart of God.

Past attempts at "coming together" or unity or some sort of racial reconciliation forced from the top down have never gotten us anywhere. What we need is a spirit-led grass roots effort to tear down the walls of distrust that we have allowed to be built up.

We are guilty of letting "Us vs. Them" politics creep into "Us vs. Them" religion. This blog, this man, this station does not purport to know all the answers or, for that matter, even all of the questions. But I do know a couple of things:
  1. We need to pray. The start of any endeavor requires prayer. And as much as we ask, we need to listen to our Father in Heaven.
  2. We need an understanding that if we, as the Body of Christ, cannot get it right on the subject of race then NO ONE can get it right.
  3. We need leaders. Not showboating, grandstanding, hate-bearing "wannabe's".
  4. We need a heart change in Middle Georgia. Memorize Ezekiel 36:26 "...and I will remove from you your heart of stone and give you a heart of flesh." and keep it in our minds and on our tongues at all times.
 My solemn prayer is "Lord, show me what to do. Give me the strength, courage, and power to see it through."

Open to the New,
Rip Kenley


2 comments: